Northampton carpenter is Britain’s Top Tradesperson 2018
It’s your time to shine Stuart Roache – the Northampton carpenter has been officially crowned Britain’s Top Tradesperson 2018.
The married father of three scooped one of the trade industry’s most coveted awards during a grand final held at the world famous Twickenham Stadium on Friday. The competition is organised by omnichannel retailer Screwfix and supported by Mitsubishi Motors.
More than 3,000 people entered the annual contest, first launched in 2009, but it was Stuart, who trades under the name Abington Home Maintenance who triumphed, impressing judges with his passion, his commitment to customer service and his desire to support adult learners.
Caroline Welsh, Director of Brand and Marketing at Screwfix said: “It was a tough decision as this year each of our 11 finalists were outstanding in their own way, but Stuart’s passion for Customer Service and dedication to his trade was overwhelming.
“As a late starter into the trade himself, he is devoted to supporting adult learners and plans to recruit and train them so they are equipped with the other skills and knowledge they need to also succeed. Stuart is a true people’s champion and a very worthy winner.
For his achievement, Stuart not only collects the prestigious title of Britain’s Top Tradesperson, he also gets a Mitsubishi L200 Warrior pick-up truck worth £33,000.
He said: “It feels totally surreal. I didn’t have any expectations on Friday and was just determined to enjoy the experience.”
Stuart qualified in both joinery and plumbing after training at night college for six-years after deciding on a career change at the age of 30.
“Putting myself through college while running a family was hard but the support I got from my wife, who is my rock, and my children made me determined to succeed,” he said.
“Because I started from scratch and know how difficult it can be to retrain and learn something new and make that work, I just want to give others the opportunity to achieve the same as I did.
“I love my job and I wouldn’t change it for the world. My customers are my everything because without them I’d be nowhere, that’s why I always aim to deliver the highest standards of service.”
Rob Lindley, Managing Director of Mitsubishi Motors in the UK commented: “Stuart’s achievement in not only reaching the final but being named Britain’s Top Tradesperson is remarkable.
“To triumph in a competition that is so fiercely contested and involves so many talented and dedicated tradespeople is a staggering accomplishment.”
During Friday’s grand-final multi-tradeswoman Christina Valentine from Epsom and heating engineer Ben Kuchta from Nuneaton were also highly commended by the judges.
NORTHAMPTON CARPENTER IS BRITAIN’S TOP TRADESPERSON 2018 71.99 MB 4 downloads...
For more information or to arrange an interview or photography, please contact:
Note to editors
Screwfix is part of Kingfisher plc, the international home improvement company, with nearly 1,200 stores in 10 countries in Europe, Russia and Turkey. For further information go to www.kingfisher.com.
Screwfix is convenient, straightforward and affordably-priced, helping its trade customers get the job done quickly, affordably and right first time. Tradespeople can shop 31,000 products over the phone, online, via their mobile or in-person from their local store.
- From power tools and work wear to cables and pipe fittings, Screwfix offers over 11,000 products available to pick up from over 580 stores nationwide. Our full range of over 31,000 products can be ordered over the phone, online or from a local store, with orders taken up until 8pm (weekdays) for next day delivery to home or site.
- Screwfix.com attracts 5 million visits per week.
- The Screwfix Click & Collect service means customers can conveniently purchase supplies online or over the phone and then collect from the store in as little as one minute.
- Customers can call the UK-based Screwfix Contact Centre 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (including bank holidays) on 03330 112 112.
- UK stores are open 7 days a week, from 7am – 8pm Weekdays, 7am – 6pm Saturdays and 9am – 4pm Sundays. Excludes selected stores. See www.screwfix.com/stores for details.
- London stores are open from 6am – 10pm on weekdays
- In 2016, Screwfix sales surpassed £1bn for the first time
- World leading customer satisfaction levels.
- Screwfix was awarded Retail Week’s Customer Experience Initiative in 2017.
- Screwfix was awarded 2nd place in Retail Week’s Best Employer Rankings in 2017.
- Screwfix was awarded South West Contact Centre Forum’s Large Contact Centre of the Year Award in 2017. Screwfix was awarded Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work in 2017 and 2018.
- Screwfix was awarded Retail Week’s ‘Best Retailer over £250m’ and ‘Digital Pioneer’ awards in 2018
- For more information about Screwfix please visit our media centre: screwfixmedia.co.uk
ABOUT MITSUBISHI MOTORS
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation is a global automobile company based in Tokyo, Japan, which has a competitive edge in SUVs and pickup trucks, electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. Since the Mitsubishi group produced its first car more than a century ago, we have demonstrated an ambitious and often disruptive approach, developing new vehicle genres and pioneering cutting-edge technologies. Deeply rooted in Mitsubishi Motors’ DNA, our brand strategy will appeal to ambitious drivers, willing to challenge conventional wisdom and ready to embrace change. Consistent with this mindset, Mitsubishi Motors introduced its new brand strategy in 2017, expressed in its “Drive your Ambition” tagline – a combination of personal drive and forward attitude, and a reflection of the constant dialogue between the brand and its customers. Today Mitsubishi Motors is committed to continuous investment in innovative new technologies, attractive design and product development, bringing exciting and authentic new vehicles to customers around the world.
For more information, please contact:
Matthew Allen, McCann Public Relations, Tel: 0121 713 3822 Matthew.thomas-allen@Mccann.com